Découverte du château de Versailles à vélo en famille © La Véloscénie - J. Damase
Visite du château de carrouges à vélo et en famille © J. Damase - La Véloscénie
Especially for families
A get-away on bikes should always be a pleasure for the whole family !
Some advice to make sure your cycling get-away is a real pleasure
- Take easy routes, if possible off-road on greenways, as set out in the Family Special section on the home page
- Don’t over-estimate your own, or your children’s abilities
Start with short stages and build gradually: 15 to 25kms a day is ideal for beginners
- Prepare your route carefully
Good preparation helps avoid unwelcome surprises; consider checking the weather forecasts too.
- Make frequent stops
Make the most of these to discover tourist spots and other attractions
- Organise a picnic
Stop in a pleasant place and have a family break
- Think ahead about energy-packed provisions
Don’t forget to take enough liquids with you
- Tell your children about essential safety rules
Respect the rules of the road: keep in to the right and always look ahead; stop before crossing a road
- Consider taking a third wheel or bicycle trailer
This is much greater fun - and more comfortable - than a child seat
- Check the quality and good condition of the bicycle
This is just as important for your child as it is for you.
- Check the size of the bicycle is adjusted to the child
Use the controls and adjustments on the bike to meet your child’s needs.